Saturday, March 15, 2008

Chinese Free Speech Suppression / Olympic Boycott


With unrest in Tibet spreading to a second city in as many days, I'm not surprised to hear the IOC trying to keep countries from bailing on the upcoming Olympic games in Beijing. I understand they want to throw their party, but from my distant (and admittedly under-informed) vantage point, wouldn't a boycott be a way to get the attention of the leadership in Beijing? 

When the 2008 games were awarded to Beijing back in 2001, opposition voices cited China's poor record on the environment and on human rights. Seven years later not much seems to have changed. 

I'd be interested in your opinion on the matter. 

(Photo: Agence France - Presse - Getty Images, via NY Times.com)

3 Comments:

Blogger mandi said...

As with most issues, I only know enough to be dangerous- as in- get myself into a heated argument and not know much at all about the issue. I have subscribed to the International Campaign for Tibet newsletter for several years, but we mostly write letters to our legislators to try to get China to let the unjustly imprisoned return to their homes. I think the Chinese government has been caught doing their despicable things on many occasions, with little change as a result. The world has become too tolerant to do much more than rant on talk shows and then move on to the next big sensation. So what if a few countries boycott the '08 Olympics? There will be another one in '12, right? There are plenty of other sporting events to watch in the mean time. But then again, how often do they broadcast the world-wide curling championships? See? Dangerous.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:27:00 PM  
Blogger Director Sportif said...

Mandi,
Thanks for your comment. My thinking is that while the Olympics happen every couple of years, they only happen in China once in a lifetime. All eyes will be upon them so they're feeling the pressure to impress. Taking away that opportunity may not change much, but it could get more people talking.

I'm impressed that you're so involved with the Tibetan cause.

And I know you're big into curling, but that's a Winter Olympic sport last I checked. :-)

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:31:00 AM  
Blogger Gramma Cyddie said...

poor mandi! I am impressed by both of you. isn't it great that children are so much wiser than their parents (here meaning mother)? It gives me great hope for the future of this world. I believe you are both saying "go ahead and boycott." Ok.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home