Sunday, June 15, 2008

Koolaid?



Am I too subjectively immersed in this campaign? I just read the speech Obama gave today on the need for fathers to be more present in the lives of their children. He singled out black fathers, but I think the message is universal.

If McCain is giving speeches or promoting concepts so core to improving our condition in a manner that is even remotely as convincing as this, please send them my way. I fail to see what others see in McCain and I truly would like to know. But here's the deal - I'll read or watch what you send me, but in exchange, you have to agree to watch or read this talk.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

I've had similar moments of self-reflection regarding my enthusiasm for Obama. The fact that he's giving speeches like this shows that he is a new kind of politician, whether or not people buy what he his saying.

Did you see how he turned his fund-raising and organizing machines to get relief to the flood-ravaged Midwest states? That has to be unprecedented. You could make the argument that every dollar he raises for flood relief is a dollar that could have been raised for his campaign funds (though I'm sure it's not a zero-sum game, either).

Obama is showing that it's not only about getting elected. It's about making our country better and taking personal responsibility to help.

Monday, June 16, 2008 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger Stine said...

My support of McCain is based more on what Obama supports than anything. The most illustrative I think is that Obama supports a measure that would promote unionization in basically every workplace. Incidentally, the unions are giving him OOOOOODLES of money.

I agree that Obama gives excellent speeches and you'll get to continue to hear them if he's elected. I think we'll also expect substantially higher taxes and prices. Maybe that's the way things have to go, but I think I'd rather not have pretty speeches and have someone who isn't going to cripple business at an extremely critical juncture in the economy.

Friday, June 20, 2008 10:25:00 AM  
Blogger Gramma Cyddie said...

there's someone promoting Mccain??????

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 1:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home