Wednesday, August 06, 2008

That's what she said...


As a manager, one of my primary goals is to have as few Michael Scott moments as possible. I'm so oblivious to the reality around me that eliminating them entirely remains on the distant horizon. But I came across some inspiring words today from a piece in the Times-Union of Albany, NY. What do you think? Who has been your best manager? Your worst? Did s/he follow the model outlined in the article? I'll include my favorite bits:

"Managers hold the key to improving performance. That's because the strongest driver of employee engagement is the relationship with one's supervisor. Having a strong rapport with a manager who communicates effectively, provides feedback on personal performance, and matches skills to tasks builds an employee's trust and heightens job engagement.

Employees want recognition and appreciation for good work and innovation. Using clear, reliable standards to measure performance assures employees that productivity and effectiveness will be rewarded.

Employees want to use their talents and grow through increased responsibility. This is especially true for the younger generation of employees entering the work force.

Offering opportunities for employees to build skills, take on new projects, or advance in the organization encourages motivation and commitment."

I try to do this for my team, but often fall short. If anyone on my team leaves comments to this post that are an inch short of praise-worthy, you're fired. (Just kidding.)

2 Comments:

Blogger beth said...

As an employee of a Michael Scott, I can say that even just trying is something good! Are you hiring? ;)

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 5:55:00 PM  
Blogger Director Sportif said...

I'm always looking for good people Beth. Want to move to Philly?

Thursday, August 07, 2008 8:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home